Oleksandr "s1mple" Kostyliev is a professional Counter Strike: Global Offensive player coming from Ukraine. He currently plays in the Natus Vincere’s CS:GO roster and is considered to be one of the greatest of all time in the history of CS:GO. A distinctive fact about Oleksandr is that even though he is considered to be one of the best players he still hasn’t won a CS:GO major title, thus making him a talented underdog in the scene. He is often referred to as “a king without a crown” by the community and it is also quite arguable that he is the best player the world has ever seen.
Oleksandr Kostyliev was born on 2 October 1997 in Kyiv, Ukraine. He started playing Counter Strike at the age of 4 under the supervision of Alexey Kostyliev, his brother. He grew up in a house where he would have to constantly fight over the only computer. But his brother would let Oleksandr control the mouse while he would control the keyboard. Even though he was into a lot of gaming in his younger ages, he would still perform well in his school, getting good grades. S1mple was 15 years old when CS:GO came out in 2012 and his journey to become the king of Global Offensive started there.
The Career of Oleksandr "s1mple" Kostyliev
It took only around a year for s1mple to get into the competitive scene of the rapidly popularizing first-person shooter game. He debuted his career with a semi-pro local team called the LAN DODGERS. He then joined Courage Gaming in early 2014 and started getting attention in Europe as an uprising talent. He then left Courage Gaming to rejoin LAN DODGER, which later was renamed as Amazing Gaming. He was performing as a rifler in both teams and finally decided to pick up the AWP after joining Amazing Gaming. He then caught Hellraiser’s attention and was acquired by them midway 2014. He was still 17 when all of this happened and he was characterized as a young prodigy. He was however banned and had to part ways with Hellraisers to join another local team called Flipsid3 Tactics.
S1mple barely spent 2 years as a pro player but changed teams over four times already. Then came the real reason of why there were “internal” problems in all these teams; s1mple was simply as toxic as it can get. Even as a child he was quick-tempered and his teammates admitted that s1mple was just too toxic to play with. This foreshadowed the next 2 years of his career. But s1mple kept showing the community how good of a player he was and won the hearts of many fans around the world. Eventually, s1mple left that team too, to take a break from CS:GO. He would just play for stand-ins until he found his way into one of the largest esports organizations in North America, Team Liquid. He was winning tournaments here and there but didn’t win any major, not even until now. However, he was still recognized as one of the greatest alongside other top talents like NiKo, Olofmeister, and Coldzera. S1mple then finally joined Natus Vincere, his hometown team in 2016. He has been performing exceptionally well with Na’Vi, winning more tournaments by the year but still has no major title on his cabinet, making him the underdog. S1mple currently is a very successful professional esports athlete, a streamer, and most importantly, a king.
S1mple surely has won plenty of qualifiers, show matches, leagues, and MVP of the series trophies. Here are some of his most notable achievements up-to-date;
- 2nd place: ESL One: Cologne 2016 (Team Liquid)
- 1st place: ESL One: New York 2016 (Natus Vincere)
- 1st place: StarSeries & i-League 2018 CS:GO Season 5 (Natus Vincere)
- 1st place: CS:GO Asia Championships 2018 (Natus Vincere)
- 1st place: ESL One: Cologne 2018 (Natus Vincere)
- 2nd place: FACEIT Major London 2018 (Natus Vincere)
- 1st place: BLAST Pro Series Copenhagen 2018 (Natus Vincere)
- 1st place: StarSeries & i-League 2019 CS:GO Season 7 (Natus Vincere)
- 1st-3rd places: BLAST Premier Spring 2020 Regular Season (Natus Vincere)
- 1st place: Intel Extreme Masters XIV - World Championship 2020 (Natus Vincere)
Trivia - Fun And Interesting Facts About Oleksandr "s1mple" Kostyliev
- He left FlipSid3 Tactics to focus more on his university and studies but that didn’t last that long. He gave up his studies to travel to America to play for Team Liquid.
- S1mple’s partner in gaming, his brother Alexey, also joined Natus Vincere right after him to work as a community manager.
- He loves pineapple and approves them being on pizza.